Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

The End of the Beginning

I can't believe that my first semester of college is already over. It feels like just yesterday I was in high school, performing in Phantom of the Opera my junior year, or going to Europe almost 9 months ago, or even graduating, which was over 6 months ago. Where on earth does the time go?

I think a lot of people had a lot to adjust to when they came to college. They found a freedom that they've never experienced before, which is both a good and bad thing. Partying and drinking is something that college students love to do, since they've always had mom and dad there to tell them not to. At the same time, a lot of people won't even make it to their second semester, let alone sophomore year, since they don't know how to handle this freedom or balance responsibilities with friends. I don't think this is the case with me. Since the end of my junior year, I haven't had anyone telling me what to do or what not to do. My mom moved a half hour away with her husband, and then my dad moved a half hour away in the other direction, so I was travelling between the two places and sometimes staying at the house alone that I grew up in. So when I came to college, it didn't really feel much different for me.

I did, however, develop much better study habits. In high school, I graduated with high honors without studying at all. Now that I'm in here, I'm sure I could pass by doing that, but I don't want to just get by. I want to do the absolute best I can, and I want to be successful in life. I can't do that by doing what I did in high school; I've realized that now. I've also realized that Penn State is not for me. I don't think I fit in here very well, since I don't usually go to parties, and because I've never been to a Penn State game (yes, I know). Coming here has made me realize that I really don't want to go to college just for a social life. I want to get an education that will help me be successful and will help me be the best person I possibly can be. My first semester here has shown me that Penn State is not the right fit for me, which is why I have filled out transfer applications for next year.

Although I know I don't really belong here, I'm glad that I made the mistake of coming to this school. It has helped me grow as both a student and as an individual. I now know what to look for in a school, and I know that I need to find a school less focused on partying and more focused on studying. Overall, I have definitely seen a change in myself for the better this semester. I think seeing so many people being irresponsible has made me into a more responsible and focused person, and I'm so thankful that Penn State has given me the opportunity to become that person.

1 comment:

  1. Kristina--

    I admire very much your decision to transfer, because it shows that you are taking the time to really hear yourself, know yourself, and seek what is best for you. I also admire your attitude regarding making a "mistake" by coming here--YES! Every single experience we have can teach us something important and lead us further down a productive path. Congratulations to you and best wishes. I loved having you as a student!

    ReplyDelete